Sunday 15 October 2017

Why We Should End The Stigma Around Periods

In a list of problems to care about, the stigma around periods sounds like it would be one of the less important things. And perhaps it isn't as vital as ending hunger, but there are some good reasons why it is an issue. And it's not like people can't care about multiple issues at once.

Under a cut because I know some people are uncomfortable with period-based discussion, but that's their personal choice.
For the last week, my skin has been extremely itchy, particularly on my scalp. I was concerned, because I had no idea what caused it. With my day-to-day job, head lice would be a reasonable assumption, except I couldn't see any eggs when I pulled through my hair. I googled versions of "itchy scalp" "scratchy head" but didn't find anything. It wasn't until I got a cramp that I realised it was very soon before my period. I've known my skin to get sensitive around my period, but never like this.

I don't track from month to month, never really had a reason to. I know roughly when it's going to start. My symptoms don't stay consistent from month to month, either. One time it's spots, the next it might be mouth ulcers. The only thing I do get is extreme cramps in the week leading up to it.

So, how does all this relate to ending the stigma around periods? None of the sites I looked at mentioned menstruation as a possible cause, which would have instantly put my mind at rest. Try the NHS Choices page for Itching. Control-F Period, Control-F Menstruation. You'd think one sentence - "You may experience worse itching then normal just before you menstruate." - would work. It does mention pregnancy and the menopause, but nothing about periods themselves. Now, NHS Choices is a very good site for checking if a common problem is worth taking to a GP, or little changes that may help ease your symptoms, so the omission sticks out. I have to google itchy skin around periods to find out if this was a common problem or not.

Although I wouldn't consider it appropriate for, say, conversation at the dinner table in the same way I don't consider conversation about most bodily fluids appropriate, I think someone should be able to speak up and ask others if they've experienced problems like it. If we never talk about our symptoms, we never know what's normal. I've known people who got extreme pain on their periods who didn't get it checked out because they thought since periods were supposed to hurt, it was the norm.

So, there's my reason. Because people aren't getting the medical advice they need. Because they either don't know they should or are too embarrassed to ask for it. Because it isn't available in obvious places. Because it's not talked about enough to find out. Like most things, problems with periods can be indicative of other health problems.

Also, pads are one of the things most required by food banks, homeless shelters and the like. However, they tend not to ask for them outright, because of the stigma surrounding them. If you ever do make a donation to one of these sorts of places, remember they don't just need food. Sanitary products and other hygiene supplies can be a huge help.

And you should remember that in some places, people don't know what a period is until they have one. Can you imagine if you suddenly started bleeding out of one of your private area, with no idea why?

One of the best things people can do to be an ally is keep a small selection of pads and tampons in your bathroom, even if you don't menstruate yourself. You never know when a friend may need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment