Thursday 3 January 2019

Christmas Book Haul!


I always like to post my Christmas book haul! I pick up more books this month than any other. Below are the reasons why I've chose these books!

The first three I bought for myself from Waterstones!
1. Circe - I've heard a lot of good things about this book, and it's interesting and beautiful cover compelled me to give it a try.
2. Vox - Vox is a Handmaid's Tale-esque misogynist dystopia. In this one, all woman have been given a limit of exactly 100 words per day to use to speak.
3. Listening to the Animals - I love animals, and I like Professor Noel Fitzpatrick's series, The Supervet. His science and ethics are very interesting!

The next seven were my Christmas presents from Dad (which is mostly I let him know which books I want)
4. Anne of Green Gables - I've never read this one, but I recently started watching Anne with an E, and I had to pick up the book! This is the Seven Seas edition, as are the next two, which has all the original text, but uses manga-style illustrations throughout. 
5. The Secret Garden - This was one of my Mum's favourites, and I had a child's version with pared-down text when I was younger. I also remember watching the movie!
6. A Little Princess - Another one I've never read, and unlike The Secret Garden, I can't even remember having a child's edition or watching the movie. I remember being interested in an advert for the movie that played before another VHS I had, though.
7, 8 &9. The Firebird Trilogy - A Thousand Pieces of You, Ten Thousand Skies Above You and A Million Worlds with You - I like this sort of YA sci-fi/romance mix, so these sounded good, and they all have beautiful covers! Sidenote - I wish YA publishers would display part of a beautiful cover on the spine more often. These spines look so plain compared to the covers. As always, I love buying a series all at once.
10. The Way You Make Me Feel - I really liked Maureen Goo's book I Believe in a Thing Called Love so I had to pick this one up as well.
11. Oogy: The Dog Only A Family Could Love - I didn't know about this one, but Dad bought it for me as a surprise because he knows I like dogs.

There comes a time while on holiday anywhere where I run out of reading material, and have to quickly search for the nearest English Language bookshop to pick up some more. The next two were bought for this very reason, while in Rome.
12. Wildcard - I enjoyed Warcross and I'd been wanting to pick up Wildcard for a while.
13. The Underground Railroad - It was a book that I'd heard about, and I knew it was a serious historical fiction book.

The next three I bought with Waterstones vouchers I received for Christmas!
14. Becoming - It's by Michelle Obama, end of reasoning.
15. The Night Circus - I'd heard a bit about this in comparison to Caravel when the latter book hit shelves. I thought it was fantasy but I'm not sure now as it was on the general fiction shelf in Waterstones.
16. The Long Song - This book was adapted into a BBC TV series that I've been watching on iPlayer, and I have to read the book as well. BBC literary adapted series are one of the best things about Christmas.

The last three I bought with an Amazon voucher, again given as a Christmas gift.
17. Rich People Problems - When I start a series, I like to finish it, too. But... I haven't even read China Rich Girlfriend yet!
18. Summer Bird Blue - I loved Akemi Dawn Bowman's Starfish and I had to pick this one up, too. Another one in the pretty cover column, and the description sounds a little like The Sky is Everywhere.
19. The Towering Sky - Another one to finish off a previous series, and this series's Gossip Girl/sci-fi vibe is great, while taking place mostly in one location, The Tower.

10 comments:

  1. Woooooww, that All I Want For Christmas is BOOOOKS!! What a GREAT stack of books. That's going to be fun reading them all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I want for Christmas is indeed books! To be fair, these will keep me going for a few months.

      Delete
  2. Ooh that's a nice stack of books! I want to get Circe too after all the good reviews I've seen. And the Claudia Gray series I've heard good things about too- I've read a couple of her books but not those, and I'm curious. I hope they're good! You've got some good reading there looks like!

    Happy New Year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I have wizzed through the first two books in that series, it's actually really fun! Happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  3. This is such a great haul, wow! I'm also curious about Michelle Obama's book, I might have to get to it at some point :) Vox sounds SO interesting and I am also curious about Summer Bird Blue, as I loved Starfish so much :)
    Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I really liked the idea behind Vox, too, so I had to pick it up!

      Delete
  4. Aww yes I hope you like Circe (I totally cover bought that one haha 😂but I will read it this year!) And Summer Blue Bird! I liked Starfish better I think but ADORE that author's style and her messages. <3 What an epic haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Circe's UK and US covers are awesome, aren't they? I also can't wait to get stuck into Summer Bird Blue!

      Delete
  5. I am soooo envious of that stack!! I've got Circe awaiting reading too and hope to get to it soon.
    I absolutely adored The Night Circus. It is kind of fantasy :-) And I revisited Anne Of Green Gables not so long ago and actually think I enjoyed it more as an adult than I had as a child. Love the idea of Manga versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! While they aren't manga as in comic style, they still have beautiful pictures set throughout. They're awesome editions!

      Delete