Monday 17 December 2018

The Smashing & Dashing 2018 Book Tag by Paper Fury

Why do I always do things like this to myself. I have to look back over all the books I've read this year and decide on my answers to these questions? Like that's 142 books. I mean obviously I don't have to, I could just leave it, but I'm not going to. Also it makes me realise how much I've actually forgotten about books I read at the beginning of the year.

1. Most Relatable Character
I reread Geekerella this year and I just can't get over how well-done the geek aspect of this book was? Like I can see Starfield as a series I am into. Many of the geek parts I recognise as conversations I have with my friends. I loved how Elle used Starfield sometimes as a way to escape from her life, which is similar to why I have many of my geeky interests.
2. Most Pure Animal Companion
Why does it feel like I didn't read enough with animals in it. In 2019, let's give all YA protagonists a pet. I reread The Hate U Give this year and Brickz is the cutest pitbull softy ever, so I'm counting him.
3. Fiercest Fighter
I read Reflection, which is a Disney movie based Mulan retelling, and she keeps all her awesome traits, but she develops them even further battling her way through the literal underworld!
4. Am Surprised That I Loved You??
Oh my word The DUFF. I thought the book would be on the shallower side of YA, and I watched the movie which did nothing to disprove this. But the book was awesome and it was such good friendships, and a message on how everyone can feel like the DUFF at times and it addressed girl-hate and it looked at the bad things about sex without making the book sex-negative and I don't know how I'm going to convince more people to read this book.
5. Best Sassmaster
Willowdean from Puddin' (and in her novel Dumplin' which I didn't reread this year but I did watch the movie so I'm including it) sassy Willowdean is best Willowdean.
6. Best Antihero
I'm giving this to Adina from You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone (is she an antiheroic archtype?) She's not always nice, or even well-intentioned, but seeing things from her POV really does help to understand her thinking.
7. The Best Friends Of All
I'm going for Simon's crew from Simon vs. and Leah on the Offbeat, who will stick together through thick and thin.
8. Best Villain To HATE
The Faceless Man/Martin Chorley from Rivers of London. If you want a villain who you can read about people having epic WIZARD duels with and not feel bad for the villain at all, this is the series for that.
9. Award For Best vs Worst YA Parents
Worst: the Mom from Starfish. She was abusive towards her daughter, and it was in the very way that gets underneath the skin over time.
Best: Desi's Dad from I Believe in a Thing Called Love. They have a great relationship, and bond even more over K-dramas. Desi tries not to worry her Dad, and her Dad will listen to her.
10. Ship Of All Ships In 2018
I don't ship like I did in my teens, but my favourite bookish couple from this year would be LeahXAbby!
11. Most Precious Must Be Protected
Tovah my word Tovah needs to be protected from her sister's bad decisions.
12. Honestly Surprised You’re Still Alive
Amani and literally everyone from the Rebel of the Sands series. I always wonder how YA groups of friends can wade into the middle of a huge war with little or no training and with the most dangerous people hell-bent on killing them and come out mostly alive.
13. Award For Making The Worst Decisions
Well, isn't a hallmark of YA characters that they make bad decisions? But Reagan from Open Road Summer is basically a whole bundle of bad decisions.
14. Most In Need Of A Nap
ME.
15. Want To Read More About You
Hmm hmm can I have a Piglettes spin-off that makes Astrid the main character? She seemed more level-headed that Mireille and I'd love to hear more about her video games.

2 comments:

  1. I need to read sooo many of these books! I have read the first book in the Rebel of the Sands book though and lol you are so right.... I was surprised that Amani made it to the end of that book! Happy new year! :)

    Megan @ http://www.booksbirds.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I will never understand how so many YA characters come out alive from wars which kill many trained adults! I want to write a book now where the MC narrates the last chapter after her death. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete