Thursday 24 January 2019

Roaming through Rome, Day 7&8 - 29/12/18&30/12/18 - A Quiet Day and the Flight Home

I'm combining two days into one again, since after the Vatican we both wanted a bit more relaxed. There were a few small places I still wanted to check out, so I spent one day using the rest of my underground pass to get around. There was also a last few souvenirs and of course, food to eat!

So one of the places I wanted to go was Pizzarium Bonci. We went to the station Cipro, and from there it was just a small walk up a planted arch walkway. If you are coming from the Vatican to here, I recommend you use the metro - it's only one stop, and it's such a short walk away that you will not get lost. It's also in a part of Rome that felt more residential/lived in.
I can imagine this would be gorgeous in spring/summer!
The process for picking up your pizza is a little tricky - you take a number and have to jostle your way to the front, while waiting for your order to be called. It was also packed, but it was worth it.
This was a basil/mozzarella and an artichoke/chicken combo. I am still thinking about this mozzarella.
I also took a trip to a café I'd heard about, but they turned out to be closed. Still, they were off the beaten path and getting there required a bus service - my metro ticket worked for those. Working out the buses was certainly interesting, and it took me on a ride through some different areas of Rome. Really, I'd suggest skipping the guided bus tours and just taking an ordinary public transport ride instead. Most were circular, so you'll end up back at your original stop eventually.
I did find a bookshop! I find being around books relaxes me, giving me some calm in a busy city, despite not being able to understand the titles!
Back in the hotel, I took a walk around again, trying to take a few different turns. I found myself going into a toyshop.
It looked pretty, but it had mostly standard toys and games. And also, #nofilter
I also managed to walk a decent ways away, winding up at the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument.
I took a short walk up the stairs and chilled out for a bit. It was around this time that I started noticing that Rome was way more busy than it was in the early part of my trip.
For that night, I was determined that we would go to a trattoria. It was our last night in Rome. We chose one near the hotel which had a lovely twinkly bush front, but it was obviously a Touristy one, with many languages on the menu. Still, the inside looked pretty too, having a rather rustic feel.
I had gnocchi in a cheese sauce!
On our final day, despite the flight not being until late, we did stay around the hotel. I did have a few last-minute things to pick up. I wanted a Rome fan for my collection, and the souvenir shop I went into also gave me a free pencil! And I needed a new book for the flight home. I went into Fetrinelli and picked up The Underground Railroad.
Chiefly among these was a cannoli, which I hadn't had yet! This was a pistachio one.
I walked around and found myself on Rue de Corso. I had more fun looking than buying, although I did buy a Minnie Mouse necklace in the Disney Store to go with a dress I have. I felt I was quite reserved here, as there was a lot of interesting things.
Purchases of the day! Rome fan, book, pencil and necklace!
Shout out to the airport McDonald's we had to keep us going, and the branch of San Crispino there! I bought a meringue ice cream that basically tasted like a frozen marshmallow.
I leave you with another one of these! I'm going to keep a look out for them in my next trips to Heathrow!

2 comments:

  1. Wow looks like an amazing visit! I love the look of that archway. And pizza in Rome- mmm sounds good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I had a fantastic time.

      Delete